For stress release, sleep, relaxation & happiness
This fudge was a staple in my freezer the whole summer and it is one of my favorite treats!
Inspired by the beautiful creations of @_marieloeffler_ this summer I experimented many versions of homemade fudge … so easy and so delicious ✨ The basic recipe is always pretty much the same, but you can switch ingredients and customize the flavors as you wish playing with different spices, nuts, seeds and fruits. You can easily turn this beauty into a medicinal treat by adding herbs and adaptogens, like ashwagandha and reishi.
I always use raw cacao powder for my recipes. This recipe will work even with normal cocoa powder (even if the taste of raw cacao is sooo much better), but I strongly recommend investing in a good quality raw cacao to absorb all its nutritional benefits. Raw cacao is the perfect way to satisfy your craving for chocolate without overloading your body with refined sugar.
RAW CACAO vs COCOA: Raw cacao, not to be confused for cocoa, is made by cold-pressing raw cacao beans ensuring that no nutrients are lost by heat treating. Unlike cocoa which has been roasted and heavily processed, raw cacao maintains its high nutritional profile making it a superfood loaded with magnesium (known as an “anti-stress vitamin” for its soothing power) and flavonoids (a group of phytonutrients found in almost all fruits and vegetables that are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits). Raw cacao also contains neurotransmitters, such as Anandamide, which increase levels of specific chemicals in our brain that help to elevate mood and to promote a positive outlook. Eating cacao causes the brain to release these ”feel good” chemicals (AKA endorphins) that provide us a general feeling of well-being and help to reduce depression.
ABOUT ADAPTOGENS / Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb classified as an adaptogen, meaning that it can help your body manage stress. It is one of the rasayana herbs in Ayurvedic medicine, meaning that it´s an herb that promotes youth and longevity and alleviates suffering. Interestingly, ashwagandha´s botanical name is somnifera, which means “restful sleep”. Not only will this root get you ready to face modern life´s stressors, but it will also improve stamina and sexual health. When taken regularly, ashwagandha can help increase vitality, energy and endurance. It has the ability to regulate the stress hormone cortisol and helps stabilize the whole hormonal system, especially the functioning of the thyroid and adrenals. If you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed or exhausted ashwagandha´s ability to support normal energy levels and sleep can come in handy.*
*Cautions: Ashwagandha should be avoided during pregnancy. It may interfere with the effectiveness of any immunosuppressive therapy. As always if you are on medication, ask your doctor or health care practioners before starting to take any herbal supplements.
Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil is a product that’s derived from cannabis. It’s a type of cannabinoid, which are the chemicals naturally found in marijuana plants. Even though it comes from marijuana plants, CBD doesn’t create a “high” effect or any form of intoxication — that’s caused by another cannabinoid, known as THC. When taken regularly, CBD oil helps to regulate cortisol, a stress hormone, improving our sleep quality and also helps to relax our muscles. CBD helps relieve headaches and reduces migraine symptoms and it helps also to reduce overall inflammation in the body, that´s why it is often used to treat acne (CBD inhibits the production of sebum, and, importantly, has an anti-inflammatory effect on the glands that produce it.) I love adding it to my warm potions (like cacao) in the evening!
Play around trying also different variations of this fudge, like the one you can find here below. Be creative and have fun!
Strawberries and roasted hazelnuts fudge with hazelnut butter
Prep. Time: 10 min, Refrigeration time: 1 hour
CBD & ASHWAGANDHA CHOCOLATE FUDGE (vegan)
- 125 g almond butter (bought or self-made)
- 30 ml coconut oil
- 30 ml cacao butter
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 50 g raw cacao powder
- 15 drops Sunday Natural CBD Oil 5% or 10%
- 1 tablespoon Sunday Natural Ashwagandha (ca. 3 capsules)
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Bourbon vanilla
- Toppings: roasted buckwheat, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, edible flowers, raspberries.
- Heat almond butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, maple syrup and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat. It is important to stir constantly so that it does not burn.
- When everything has melted, take the pot off the cooker and add the other ingredients: cacao powder, ashwagandha, vanilla, and 15 drops of CBD oil. Mix until there are no more lumps.
- Line a baking dish (also possible in a Tupperware or silicone mold – ca. 20 x 15 cm) with baking paper, pour in the cream and decorate with roasted buckwheat, hemp seeds, cacao nibs edible flowers and raspberries.
- Store the fudge in your freezer for at least one hour,
before it can be taken out of the baking dish and cut into pieces.
- Enjoy the fudge straight from the freezer or let it thaw for 15/20 minutes to get a better” fudgy” consistency before eating!
- Keep leftovers in the freezer.