A basic balm recipe for keeping lips plumped and hydrated
This recipe is super easy to make for yourself or as a present for your friends. Lip Bals are a good way to introduce non-toxic homemade natural beauty products into your daily routine. This balm is wonderful for any time of the day and can be customized for every season with different carrier oils and essential oils.
You can use any carrier oil you want, also coconut oil, but my two favorites are apricot kernel oil or macadamia oil. These two oils are perfect for moisturizing and nurturing your lips: they soften and protect your lips from being dry and cracked and sink easily into your skin.
As a butter, you can decide to use only shea butter and the balm will be amazing anyway, but I love to mix it with cacao butter for an extra hydration boost! High concentrations of fatty acids and vitamins make shea butter and cacao butter ideal cosmetic ingredients for hydrating, softening skin and improving elasticity.
NATURAL LIP BALM
Prep. Time: 10 minutes I Makes 15 ml jar
- 1 tablespoon shea butter (or half shea butter and half cacao butter)
- 1 heaped tablespoon apricot kernel oil or macadamia oil
- 1 teaspoon beewax or vegan wax
- 10 – 15 drops essential oils (For a summer citrus lip balm I used 2 drops of grapefruit, 4 drops of bergamot, 1 drop of lemongrass. Other combinations I love: Lemon – peppermint; Lavender – Ylang Ylang)
- for a tinted Lip Balm you can add 1 teaspoon of organic beetroot powder
- Combine all ingredients except the essential oils in a pot or better a glass bowl over hot water, let them melt on medium heat while stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and wait a bit until it starts cooling down.
- Add essential oils and mix (for a tinted Lip Balm you can add 1 teaspoon of organic beetroot powder)
- Spoon into your jar and you are done! Enjoy!
Apply on your lip whenever you need it!