Antioxidant boost, calming, mood
Slightly bitter, really like the dark chocolate I love. They are delicious and they will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but you’ll feel good after eating them, too. They are loaded with fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants and adaptogenic power!
These raw brownies are fantastic and can be customized with every adaptogens powder you have at home! In my version I decided to add maca and ashwagandha to increase vitality and stabilize the hormonal system. The recipe will work also with normal cocoa powder but I highly recommend investing in a good quality raw cacao in order to get all its nutritional benefits. Raw Cacao is the perfect way to satisfy your cravings for chocolate without overloading your system with processed sugar.
RAW CACAO vs COCOA: Raw cacao, not to be confused for cocoa, is made by cold-pressing raw cacao beans ensuring that no nutrients are lost by heat treating. Unlike cocoa which has been roasted and heavily processed, raw cacao maintains its high nutritional profile making it a superfood loaded with magnesium (known as an “anti-stress vitamin” for its soothing power) and flavonoids (a group of phytonutrients found in almost all fruits and vegetables that are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits). Raw cacao also contains neurotransmitters, such as Anandamide, which increase levels of specific chemicals in our brain that help to elevate mood and to promote a positive outlook. Eating cacao causes the brain to release these ”feel good” chemicals (AKA endorphins) that provide us a general feeling of well-being and help to reduce depression.
ABOUT ADAPTOGENS / Maca is a starchy tuber from South America, widely used – now as a powder – as an aphrodisiac, mood & energy booster and hormon stabilizer. Maca comes in red, black and cream. Red is best for women, black for men and cream can be used by all. It has a distinct caramel or malt-like flavor. Ashwaganda has been a go-to medicinal root for thousands of year in the Ayurveda practice. When taken regularly, it can help to increase vitality, energy, endurance and has the ability to regulate the stress hormon cortisol, making it a powerful antidode against our busy modern life and promote a restful sleep.
These brownies and other variations are always part of my HYGGEFOOD BOX. So if you are too busy to prepare them, but you still want to indulge in these delicious treats and you live in Nüremberg give them a try and order your box here!
Prep. Time: 1 hour I Makes 12 small brownies or 8 bigger brownies
ADAPTOGENIC RAW BROWNIES (vegan)
- 1 cup (175 g) Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup (125 g) walnuts
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 a teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon vanilla extract or bourbon vanilla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (45 g) vegan dark chocolate chips / or your favorite chocolate bar chopped (try to avoid those with white sugar!) / or cacao nibs
- optional but your body will thank you: 1 tbsp maca and 1 tbsp ashwagandha
- edible flower to decorate (for example blue cornflower)
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and mix until combined into a crumbly dough.
- Put into a squared glass container and add the chocolate chips. Press the mixture into an even 2 cm thick layer in the container.
- Let it cool in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Cut in squares, dust with more raw cacao and if you want frizzle with melted chocolate and top with edible flowers!
- Enjoy! You can store them in the fridge for up to one week, but they will be gone right away!