I love Granola – It´s perfect as a snack, in your plant-based milk, your yogurt or as a topping for your smoothie bolwls!
Unfortunalty most of the time store-bought granola is full of oil and sugar. However it is super easy to do it at home and you can customized it as you want with your favourite spices, nuts, seeds and also adaptogens to make it more powerful!
Depending on the ingredients you will use, Granola is rich in protein, fiber, and micronutrients. The oils, nuts and seeds in granola provide vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant in your body. It contains almost every mineral essential to your health – iron, magnesium, zinc, copper & selenium and it´s a good source of healthy fats, which come from the nuts, seeds and oils it contains.
Here I will share with you my basic hygge granola recipe that you can try as it is or customize with the ingredients you have at home! In my version I decided to add maca and ashwagandha to increase vitality and stabilize the hormonal system.
ABOUT ADAPTOGENS / Maca is a starchy tuber from South America, widely used – now as a powder – as an aphrodisiac, mood & energy booster and hormon stabilizer. Maca comes in red, black and cream. Red is best for women, black for men and cream can be used by all. It has a distinct caramel or malt-like flavor. Ashwaganda has been a go-to medicinal root for thousands of year in the Ayurveda practice. When taken regularly, it can help to increase vitality, energy, endurance and has the ability to regulate the stress hormon cortisol, making it a powerful antidode against our busy modern life and promote a restful sleep.
Prep. Time: 30 minutes I Makes 1.5 liter
HOMEMADE HYGGE GRANOLA
- 175 g of rolled oats
- 175 g of spelt or buckwheat flakes
- 150 g of your nuts of choice, chopped (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashew, …)
- 40 g of sherreded dried coconut, unsweetened
- 100 g of seeds of choice (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds or chia seeds, …)
- 1 tsp of your favorite spices (cardamom, cinnamon, clove, bourbon vanilla …)
- optional but your body will thank you: 1 tbsp maca and 1 tbsp ashwagandha
- a pinch of sea salt
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice (honey, agave, maple or apple syrup)
- 2 tbsp nut butter (like almond or cashew butter)
- 80 g of dried superfoods (like goji berries, cacao nibs, freeze-dried blueberries or coconut flackes)
- 4 tbsp of dried edible flowers (I use blue cornflower, marigold and rose petals)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients over and use your hands to mix everything until the dry ingredients are coated. Spread the granola mixture out in the baking tray and roast in the oven for 15–20 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon a couple of times during roasting to keep it from getting burned.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before adding the dried superfood. Store the granola in a sealed glass jar at room temperature. Keeps for at least a month.